Monday, December 11, 2006

Does Time Seem To Be Standing Still?

Or is it just me?

For the longest time, it seemed like there was too much to do, and there were too many decisions to be made, and the phone call list just got longer and longer. In between the planning and the measuring and the meetings, we did what we could to remove the tile flooring, sand the display window floors, and remove aluminum paint from the copper.

Eventually, we succeeding in contacting the structural engineer, and the capenters, and the building inspector, and the architect, and the plumbing inspector, and the HVAC guys, and the paint removal guy, and the tuck pointing guy, and the electrician, and called to get the dumpster emptied (again!).

Then we met with each and every one of them, sometimes more than once. Then we waited for each person to do their special thing and get back to us.

While we waited to hear from the pros, we kept ripping up that old flooring and pulling the nails, refilling the dumpster several times.



This closeup of a small section of the floor will give you an idea of how many nails I've pulled. There are ten nails in four linear feet. I know - I counted them. One hundred nails every forty feet (the width of the room). And the next row of nails is only about 4" or 5" away. Each time we removed one 4 x 8 sheet of plywood underlayment, I pulled over 200 nails. I KNOW it was over 200 because each time the installer guy bent or broke a nail, he smacked it flat and put another one right next to it.
[I've never understood the theory behind nailing underlayment so thoroughly. Gravity is usually fairly reliable for holding things down, and the walls on each side of the room ought to be able to control any slipping. I'm sure there's a reason.]

Things are about to change! Today we reached the front door, but only on half of the room. The other half is still a couple of days away from finished, but we're expecting to finish this week. It's worth a visit, folks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My guess is that the reason for so many nails is to retard squeaking. Now they're glued!